At the London Critics’ Circle Film Awards on Sunday, Alfonso Cuarón’s Roma and Yorgos Lanthimos’s The Favourite have strengthened their position ahead of the Oscars by dominating the night.
Roma went home with the best picture award and The Favourite picked up British/Irish film of the year, while actresses Olivia Colman and Rachel Weisz both won acting awards.
Although the Netflix-backed black and white drama secured the film of the year award, it was the period comedy-drama The Favourite that went home with the most awards – four, including best British/Irish film. Olivia Colman, who plays the troubled Anne, Queen of Great Britain, received the actress of the year award; Rachel Weisz, who plays the Queen’s confidante Sarah Churchill, received the supporting actress award; and Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara received the screenwriter award.
It was also a successful evening for Paweł Pawlikowski’s black and white romance Cold War, which was named the foreign-language film of the year and received the technical achievement award for Łukasz Żal’s cinematography.
The surprise of the evening came when Ethan Hawke, who plays a priest in the throes of a spiritual crisis in First Reformed, was named actor of the year. He won even though he was competing against Oscar favourite Christian Bale, who was nominated for his role in Vice.
London Critics’ Circle Film Awards Winners:
- Film of the year Roma
- Foreign-language film Cold War
- Documentary Faces Places
- British/Irish film The Favourite
- Director Alfonso Cuarón for Roma
- Screenwriter Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara for The Favourite
- Actress Olivia Colman for The Favourite
- Actor Ethan Hawke for First Reformed
- Supporting actress Rachel Weisz for The Favourite
- Supporting actor Richard E Grant for Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- British/Irish actress Jessie Buckley for Beast
- British/Irish actor Rupert Everett for The Happy Prince
- Young British/Irish performer Molly Wright for Apostasy
- Breakthrough British/Irish filmmaker Michael Pearce for Beast
- British/Irish short film Three Centimetres
- Technical achievement Cold War for cinematography, by Łukasz Żal
- Dilys Powell award for excellence in film Pedro Almodóvar