From Eureka Entertainment comes Oliver Stone’s classic Salvador to Blu-ray for the first time in the UK. Starring the incredible James Woods, the film will be released as part of The Master of Cinema Series on September 17 as part of a dual format DVD/Blu-ray presentation.
Powerful, vivid and inhibited, this brilliant political drama from director Oliver Stone makes its UK Blu-ray debut in September as part of Eureka Entertainment’s Masters of Cinema Series.
A harrowing drama set during the Salvadoran Civil War, Salvador is a one of director Stone’s most underrated films, a thrilling and violent look at the chaos of war as seen through the lens of an amoral photojournalist.
In 1980, young men, women and children are being brutally killed in a bloody civil war in El Salvador. A horrific setting, but a perfect one for Richard Boyle (James Woods in an Oscar nominated role), a sleazy journalist whose career needs a jump start. Armed with his camera, Boyle joins the front lines in an attempt to capture atrocious-but-valuable images of pain and horror. But with each picture he takes, he catches a tragic side of humanity that ignites his long-buried compassion. And he unexpectedly discovers something that will change him forever: his soul.
Mark Fraser in listing Salvador as the best James Woods film, said: “Although Stone’s direction is sometimes uneven, wallowing in heavy handed melodrama before delving into serious criticism of US foreign policy, Woods keeps the whole thing together in a performance which makes Johnny Depp’s take on gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson in Terry Gilliam’s Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) seem a tad reserved.”
Also starring Jim Belushi and John Savage, Salvador is a searing critique of the United States’ role in the Central American crisis.
DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES
• 1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray (with a progressive encode on the DVD)
• Optional 5.1 or uncompressed LPCM mono soundtracks
• Optional English SDH subtitles
• Feature length audio commentary with director Oliver Stone
• An extensive archival interview with Oliver Stone at the BFI
• A rarely heard, lengthy audio interview with Oliver Stone from 1986
• Into The Valley of Death (62 mins) – A documentary on the making of Salvador
• Deleted and Extended scenes
• Original theatrical trailer
• A collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by critic and journalist Barry Forshaw; extracts from the film’s original press-book; and archival imagery
• Reversible Sleeve
The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the film in its UK debut on Blu-ray in a special Dual Format edition on September 17, 2018.